Stereo Images From Juneau

Please read the fine print at the bottom of this page before reproducing or reusing the information and images here.


MF Cameras
Stereo Mounting
MF Viewer
Digital Twins
Stereo Help
Stereo Methods
TDC Stereo Vivid
NSA 2004


I have included file sizes in the image links.  Please take a moment to check these sizes before you begin downloading images for viewing.  Several of the JPS files are very large and will be painful to download over a modem link.

The images are presented in cross-eye and anaglyph format.  If you prefer a different format or size, please give the Stereoscope applet a try.

Viewable with any browser
I strive for browser independence.  Please let me know if you experience problems with these pages.  


Java Stereo Viewer

Many of these pages use a Java Stereoscope applet by
Andreas Petersik
. It made a Java convert out of me and I highly recommend it.

Narrowing In

Back ] Next ]

If you are shooting slide film and mounting them in cardboard mounts with 50x50 apertures, the stock format is doing you no favors.  

Shown here is the back of a stock Rolleidoscop which produces images that are 61x56mm (WxH).  The film advance window is shown for reference.  

You must crop 11mm from the width of each image and it is almost impossible to get six  images on a roll of 120 film.  By narrowing the film apertures by just few millimeters we can easily get six stereo images on a roll and the images still fit perfectly in 50x50 slide mounts.
Shown here is the back of the narrowed Rolleidoscop which produces images that are almost square 57x56mm (WxH) and gets six images to a roll.

Making it Happen

The modification is actually not very difficult.  The most difficult part for me was getting up the nerve to do it!

The shim in place   A cross-eyed stereo pairI started with two strips of 3.5mm styrene and carefully trimmed them to length and shaped them to fit the inside corners of the original back.  Styrene is easy to cut and shape, and inexpensive.  It doesn't break the bank to spoil a few strips as you try to get the perfect fit.  I used a set of fine files for the shaping but an emery board or some very fine sand paper would work just as well.  Since I started with white styrene, I took a minute to blacken the strip after they were shaped.  The strips were then glued into place with a very small amount of two-part epoxy and left to dry. 

The result is what you see here.  A snug fitting shim that will remove 3.5mm from the outside edge of each half of your stereo pair. The image to the left is linked to a cross-eyed stereo pair to better show the installation.

What remains to be done is adjust the film advance sequence to take advantage of the reduced film usage.   Next

Stock Advance ] [ Narrowing the Image ] New Advance ]


Send me mail at:

The Fine Print:  Unless otherwise stated, all images presented here were created by, and are copyrighted by, John R. Thurston. You may view them, print them, tell people about them, and comment on them. You may not copy them, edit them, or use them for financial gain without permission.  
You are expressly forbidden to use any of my content or images in support of e-bay sales without my specific consent.
Except from e-bay pages, feel free to link to any of the HTML pages, but please do not create links directly to any of the images.

Bookmark my pages at: